Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Ramadaan & the chaos in Fordsburg

Sitting for over 15 minutes in traffic trying to drive from one robot to another, I sit and observe as everyone goes crazy buying food and clothes. People are selling all the luscious treats outside most of the restaurants & shops, trying to get the attention of all the people that haven't eaten the whole day. Of course they (the treats) look heavenly, but how do they taste after lying in the sun the whole afternoon, if not the whole day?? All the food places inside are empty because most of the people cannot eat. Looking at the menu from the passing street, my mouth starts to water...
Finally I reach my destination - the tiny shop to buy clothes for the upcoming Eid. Why do people have such small shops with so much stock and barely any room for the customers to move? Squashing through people I try to find what I require. Men, women, boys and girls all rushing like Eid is occurring the next day. After many minutes I get the help of someone but there isn't what I'm looking for. Again trying to squash my way through to the door, I can breath a sign of relieve for getting out of that small shop. In and out of shops that I go through hoping to find something for my little angel, but no such luck... All the squashing and pushing - pointless. It reminds me of the pilgrimage that my husband and I went to 2 years ago. Was that something!!
Anyways my last stop for the day is not a clothing store but a bakery. Thinking that that place will at least be a bit unfilled as most of the community is fasting but it wasn't any better then the clothing store. All the mouth-watering tarts, biscuits and cakes are set before me looking divine. My stomach starts grumbling at that instant. Looking around, people are going crazy once again buying and buying and buying. The first thought that comes to me is that I wonder if all these people consume all the provisions that they buy after fast is broken. I know I can barely eat. A few glasses of water and maybe one savoury and I am finished for the night. Well I just came here for some rolls to go with my yummy steak for tonight's dinner, which I doubt is going to be eaten, and I am out of this chaotic place...
At last I am finished with Fordsburg. My head wants to burst with all the chaos and rush that I just went through. Driving out of Fordsburg with an awful headache that I developed while rushing in and out of each shop, I think how life has turned out to be - such a rush!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment